Anonymous asked: Hi I don't mean to be ignorant but what evidence is there that Carlos is autistic I'm just curious I don't mean to sound mean I love you sorry bye
NOT IGNORANT AT ALL idk i did have a post explaining but it’s way out of date (i’m talking like, pre-dylan here).
i don’t really have the spoons to make another big post about it but it’s pretty much everything carlos’ character is? everything, the way he interacts with other people and the world around him, his obsessions, his enthusiasm, his habit of going on and on and on with no apparent perception of how the other person is responding to it. he absolutely lines up with every single thing i’ve recognised about my own and others’ asperger’s since being diagnosed. everything. carlos the scientist is autistic.
maybe some other time i’ll make a proper post with all the examples so far, but for now if anyone with more energy wants to add to this, feel free to do so. i would appreciate it.
All the points above and i got some other ones (last episode was amazing he was sooo soo aut.). the phrasing might be off because im tired and this is my second language so if i said something wrong or offensive please let me know so i can correct it. I’m on the spectrum myself fyi.
asd - autism spectrum disorder
- in Old Oak Doors Part B he was explicitly naming his feelings (“ I couldn’t figure out why we couldn’t just keep the doors closed for good, and it was really frustrating to have a problem I couldn’t solve. And then I got sad, because I couldn’t solve it. But then I did solve it, and I felt so happy! So those are some – but not all – of the emotions that I had.” - cecil speaks tumblr). This is something I (and some other autistics) do. I have difficulty figuring out how i feel sometime and for what reason. By summing them up in this way, it becomes easier to recognise them. Especially the “some, but not all - of the emotions i had” is important because very often emotions get mixed up? Im not really sure how to explain this but by naming the emotions it becomes clearer which emotions you have for what reason.
- special interest is science„. You know how he rambles on, especially clear in the last episode. he didn’t pick up the cues that cecil wanted to talk about other things. Autistic/aspergers (me included) often have this… problem/issue/thing. You are so focused on the most interesting thing in the world and it is all you want to talk about because HOw can other people not find this interesting?!>!?. Lengthy monologues just like carlos’s are common in asd peeps.
Only in the last part he finally settled down enough to talk about the emotions and things. Those monologues often come in waves. sometimes you can carry a “normal” conversation but sometimes you just need to talk about things you find interesting because it makes you happy.
( think of a huge cake in your favorite flavor and you want to eat it right now but other people keep blocking you and they want you to do stuff for them and you’re like allright but first i want the cake then i’ll help you/talk to you/do your thing with pleasure)
- not “wanting” (not sure if right word to use) to leave the desert because THINGS ARE UNDISCOVERED AND THAT CANT BE I MUST UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING… (i almost fell of my bike when i heard that it was so like me.)
- the fact that he seems an outsider everywhere ( but less in night vale than in other places). a very recognisable feeling, sadly.
- Clothing (this point is not as strong as the others but i still wanted to mention it). His lab coat is like armor. it is a signal to himself and the outside world of who he is. Think of a stereotypical scientist. This trope has loads of asd characteristics. By dressing like this, the behavior that could be considered strange in a “”“normal”“”/neurotypical person is almost considered the rule and normal for him. Also, i noticed that lab coats don’t set off my sensory issues like some other clothing does so that is my carlos headcanon too.
there are a lot (like, a LOT) more examples but I just cant really think of any more. If anyone has more points please add.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ALL OF THIS, THANK YOU
I’ve said this before, but as a person with autism, this is offensive as fuck. Just because Carlos really loves his job doesn’t make him autistic.
You know who does act like he has autism?
Cecil who rambles on with unusual vocabulary, Cecil with his weirdly specific likes (he collects Jadite bowls. Not the whole set, mind you, just the bowls) and dislikes (what the fuck, exactly, did Steve ever do to him?). Cecil who has no social filter. Cecil who is so obsessed with his job that when he’s fifteen he literally doesn’t notice his entire life falling apart around him, because radio. Cecil with his apparently-inappropriate emotional responses, Cecil who is deeply in love but still touch-avoidant, Cecil who has verbal tics. Cecil who doesn’t understand appropriate clothing. Cecil who quickly and vehemently decides who he likes and who he doesn’t.
Carlos loves his job. Cecil meets all of the criteria for HFA. Stop goddamn lumping everyone with a special interest into “omg, must have autism!” No.
prismatic-bell, I’ve seen you give a lot well thought-out of evidence as to why you think Cecil has autism, based on what you know about autism and your own personal experiences having autism. So, even though I don’t interpret Cecil as having autism, I understand that this is important to you and that you have valid reasons for your interpretation.
But I’ve also seen people, some autism themselves (myself included), talk about how we relate to Carlos, and how Carlos’s behavior reflects our experiences and what we know about autism. You don’t have to share that interpretation. If you think that Carlos is neurotypical that’s perfectly fine. But please consider how you would feel if someone told you that your interpretation of Cecil was offensive, objectively wrong, and that you - despite having autism yourself - didn’t know what you were talking about. Because that’s what you’re doing to other people with autism when you lash out against them for interpreting the characters differently than you do.
no but the fact he’s so willing to stay there whilst cecil drinks alone every night without him, just because he’s found somewhere ”stranger” than night vale…
I totally get what you mean, but at the moment…I’m beginning to get the impression that Carlos doesn’t think he’ll ever get back to Night Vale. So he’s throwing himself into tasks that interest him so instead of having to tell Cecil there is 0 chance he can get back, he’s like um I need to check this! And this! To stall for time, maybe. I thought he was being a bit callous at first, but I think they’re trying to give him a bit more of a personality, which is excellent!
I don’t think it’s that Carlos believes he’ll never get home, but that Carlos just really loves science. It’s clear from things Cecil has said in other episodes that he’s frequently come second to science, not because Carlos doesn’t care about Cecil, but because science is Carlos’s obsession and usually the first thing on his mind. I think that the more Carlos becomes aware of Cecil’s feelings, the more he’s willing to make compromises for Cecil, but a lot of time he’s so engaged in what he’s doing and so oblivious to what Cecil’s saying, it probably doesn’t even occur to him he might be hurting him.
jeffrey cranor is a gift
It’s ok, guys, crisis averted.
Sephiroth called off Meteor for an extra hour in the ball pit.
I love their chemistry.
"Cecil’s wings thrummed with the soothing baritone reverberations of his manly horn: ‘HONK HONK,’ he said, and Cecil was undone."
"and listeners, he left me a voicemail. i have it here. he said, and i quote: WEEEE WHOOO WEEEE WOOOO WEEEE WOOOO HONNNNNK WEEEE WWWOOOO. just. isn’t that just ROMANTIC?"
Rule One: Always post the rules
Rule Two: Answer the questions the person who tagged you asked and write 11 new ones
Rule Three: Tag 11 people and link them to the post
Rule Four: Actually tell them you tagged them.
Rule Five: Tag the person who tagged you.
I was tagged by videntefernandez (thank you!) and the questions were provided by teripops (hello!).
1) What is your favorite meme?
The whole free extra hour in the ballpit thing. I’ve seen a reasonable amount of memes over my years on the internet, but I don’t think any other one has even come close to amusing me as much as that one has.
2) How neglected were you as a child if you were a child at one point?
I wasn’t neglected. My parents were very present, loving, and supportive of me, and for that I still count myself incredibly lucky.
3) If you got body swapped into the body of a soccer mom and had to get violently mutilated by an alligator to return to your own body, which bank would you rob in your temporary body first and how soon after you swapped?
Well, if I wanted to return to my own body, I guess it would have to be a river bank.
4) Which politician makes you want to vomit teeth the most?
Is the tooth fairy a politician? Because at least then I’d get some cash out of it.
5) Your first decree as punk pope?
Go forth and find someone more qualified for this position.
6) Is it wrong to date your robot butler?
It depends on the extent of your relationship and how your robot butler feels about it. There’s an inherent power imbalance in such a dynamic, so it’s important to establish what your robot butler actually wants vs. what he sees as his obligation to you.
7) How many people did you envision yourself attacking viciously with advanced martial arts today and what were they wearing when you envisioned it?
Don’t you think that’s a little personal?
8) Where’s the last place you left a significant amount of hair?
Depends by how you define significant, but I guess the bathroom wastebasket yesterday.
9) When’s the worst age to own 7 dogs at once?
10) What was your Christmas list in the earliest past Christian life you can remember?
I can’t remember any past lives, but maybe some sort of food? Christians eat food, right?
11) Would you rather interview your favorite celebrity or scold them for getting such bad grades on a test about yourself that you randomly quizzed them on?
Jeffrey Cranor is a lovely person who doesn’t deserve to be scolded.
Okay! And now my eleven questions for other people.
1. If you woke up one day to find that every other human on the Earth had disappeared, what would you do?
2. What would you say your best quality is?
3. What grows deep in the grass?
4. What’s a joke that you think is good?
5. Do you believe in any sort of an afterlife?
6. What’s something that you want?
7. What’s your favorite fantasy creature other than dragons?
8. If you could only eat foods from three different nationalities for the rest of your life, which three countries of origin would you choose?
9. Who’s the best robot?
10. What should I make for dinner?
11. What’s one of your favorite tumblr blogs?
And I’m tagging (don’t feel obligated to answer if you don’t want to):
But anyone else who wants to answer these questions can feel free to as well. :)
I, for one, am deeply offended that people in Australia aren’t constantly considering how their promotional materials might be misconstrued as a reference to something that happened on the other side of the planet over a decade ago. I blame Michael Bay personally for this.